Anyone who’s ridden the gravel roads of the Comox Valley know how good it is. A group of gravel enthusiasts have put together, for your riding pleasure, a challenging adventure ride linking some of the best routes and climbs around. Starting and finishing in the historic village of Cumberland, the Forbidden Gravel Experience will take you through lush forests, around beautiful Comox lake and up into the Beaufort mountain range. We’ve linked together an adventure ride that is a true gravel cycling test. We’ve added in some sections of singletrack and doubletrack to keep things interesting.
The event is part of a newly formed Vancouver Island Gravel Series which features 3 pillar events that showcase some of the most beautiful and challenging terrain on the Island. Kicking off the series is MIVA unpaved on August 29 followed by the Forbidden Gravel Experience on September 11 with the Burnt Bridge Classic closing out the series on September 25th
Proceeds from the event proudly support Trail Bicycles youth cycling team, UROC, Cumberland Community Schools society, Vanier High School mountain bike team, and Cumberland Community Forest Society
Covid protocol for FGE
We strongly recommend that all participants are fully vaccinated in accordance with public health guidance. As organizers we take on a tremendous risk and need to make sure the safety of our event volunteers and participants is prioritized. We also ask you to abide by the following protocols during the event:
- Please wear a mask during check-in and maintain social distancing where possible
- Carry a mask with you during the race in case you require assistance
If you or any member of your household have been outside of Canada in the past 14 days or if you or anyone in your household experienced any cold or flu-like symptoms in the last 14 days, enjoy a ride on your own and please don’t participate in the event.
Registration is now open: https://raceroster.com/events/2021/47010/forbidden-gravel-experience
Registration closes Wednesday September 8th at 11:59pm.
- $85 registration
- Registration limited to the first 200 riders
- Team of 4 is $300 ($10 discount per rider)
- Beginner- You’re new to riding and want a challenge then this category is for you. Riders who register in Beginner will complete the short course
- Intermediate – This category is for you if you plan on riding the course and having a fun day out with friends. Riders who register in Intermediate will complete the epic long course
- Expert – You’ve done gravel events and want to go fast and race the route. Riders who register in Expert will complete the epic long course
- Team of 4 – All 4 registered riders must be completing the same course distance.